Note: this dish is intended to be served alongside my Mediterranean Pistachio Crusted Tofu.
Creating a pilaf by adding vegetables and herbs to a grain is a simple way to take the flavor of your dish to the next level. The saffron adds a beautiful color and unique dimension to the quinoa. If saffron is not available, feel free to leave it out – you will still have a lovely pilaf to compliment the Mediterranean Pistachio Crusted Tofu.
- 1 and ¼ cups quinoa, rinsed and drained well
- 2 and ¼ cups vegetable stock or water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley, basil or your favorite herb
- Place the quinoa, vegetable stock, salt, and saffron threads in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the remaining ingredients and gently mix well.
- To serve, place quinoa in a ramekin, ring mold or 1 cup measuring cup and press firmly down. Flip on to each serving plate before adding Pistachio Tofu and Mediterranean Vegetables.