Most shampoos contain animal ingredients, which are present not because they add any vital cleaning properties, but because they’re ridiculously cheap. It’s nearly impossible to read a shampoo label and know which ingredients are animal derived. Many times, a given chemical can be sourced from either plant or animal sources, so there’s no way of knowing its origin if the label doesn’t specifically declare it.
On top of this, most shampoos still rely on animal testing. This is an unforgivable state of affairs given that cosmetics companies have now had more than a half-century to document the safety of common ingredients. And since shampoo is really little more than water, detergent, fragrance, and color, it’s disgraceful that companies still resort to carrying out tests on such a simple category of products.
Fortunately, vegan shampoos are widely available so there is never a reason to choose a brand that relies on animal testing or ingredients. You may not have any luck finding vegan shampoo at your local drugstore, but any natural food store should have at least one vegan brand in stock. And of course, there are several brands of vegan shampoos sold by Amazon.com.
Here are some of the best cruelty-free and vegan shampoos on the market. Each brand’s shampoo line is all-vegan unless noted otherwise:
- 100% Pure (A few varieties contain honey.)
- Acure Organics
- Avalon Organics
- Beauty Without Cruelty
- Blue Chamomile Shampoo, by Aubrey Organics. (Some of their other shampoos are also vegan.)
- Desert Essence Organics (Check ingredients—some varieties contain beeswax or honey.)
- Giovanni (All shampoos vegan except for their “Magnetic” line.)
- Kiss My Face
- L’ORÉAL EverPure shampoo & conditioner
- LUSH Solid Shampoo (Most varieties.)
- Mineral Fusion
- Morrocco Method
- Nature’s Gate