There’s something nostalgic and comforting about a gooey grilled cheese sandwich hot off the grill. Why should vegans have to give that up? We shouldn’t. Here’s a video showing you how to make the ultimate vegan grilled cheese sandwich with just three ingredients. Bon appétit!
- Bread (Sourdough or any vegan bread will do)
- Butter (Earth Balance works perfectly, or you can make your own palm-oil-free butter)
- Daiya cheese shreds (You can use any flavor or mixture thereof. You can also use the Daiya cheese slices, but I find that the shreds create the most authentic grilled cheese.)
Finally, a vegan cheese that really melts! There is no longer any reason to use dairy mozzerella or cheddar cheese on pizza, grilled cheese or quesadillas. These Daiya cheese shreds taste as good as any cheese from a cow.
If you think that going vegan means giving up pizza, think again. Vegan pizza is easy to find, from your local pizzeria to the freezer aisle at your neighborhood grocery store. This video will give you the tips you need to get your paws on vegan pizza anytime, anywhere. Enjoy!
Frozen Vegan Pizza Brands:
When dining out, remember that you can always make a special request for something that is not on the menu—such as a pizza without cheese! Most chefs are happy to accommodate vegans. Just be sure to check if the pizza crust is made with any dairy or eggs. Crust is generally vegan, but not always.
Vegan-Friendly Pizza Chains:
- California Pizza Kitchen
- Little Caesars
- Papa John’s
- Pizza Hut (‘thin and crispy’ and ‘dessert’ crusts only)
Finally, if your local pizzeria that doesn’t offer vegan cheese or many vegan toppings, you have the power to change this! Check out Mercy for Animals’ Guide to Restaurant Outreach for tips about how to request vegan cheese and veggie meats at your local pizza spot.
If you like this video, you may also enjoy our Guide to Dairy-Free Eating.
If you want to see the future of veganism, look no further than Portland, Oregon. This hip city has a vibrant vegan scene complete with a vegan mini-mall and more vegan friendly restaurants than you can count. Take a peek!
Portland Mini Mall Shops:
Portland Restaurants Mentioned in the Video:
If you’d like to see more Portland vegan videos, you can find them here.
Pigs are intelligent, curious and playful animals much like your dog. Just one look at Esther the Wonder Pig, and you’ll never want to eat pigs again. Lucky for you (and pigs), no pigs have to die to make these delicious pigs in a blanket snacks!
This delicious two-ingredient recipe is insanely easy to make and takes just 15 minutes. It’s a perfect party food, pot luck staple and game day snack. Enjoy!
Every Friday we will release a video featuring upbeat news from the vegan world. This week’s video is about how going vegan gets easier by the day. Enjoy!
We are thrilled to introduce the new Vegan.com YouTube channel. We’ll be bringing you weekly tips, recipes, reviews and news. Be sure to subscribe to stay tuned!
You’ll never guess how easy it is to make vegan Jalapeño Poppers! This is a very simple (and very delicious) recipe made with just three ingredients that is fun to serve at a party, grill up at a barbecue, or make on game day. And shhh…if you don’t announce that these are vegan, your guests will never know!
- 12 green jalapeño peppers
- 1 package of vegan shredded cheese (we recommend Follow Your Heart’s Fiesta Blend)
- 1 tub of vegan cream cheese
- Optional: Breadcrumbs or crushed tortilla chips to sprinkle on top
- Slice each jalapeño pepper in half (lengthwise), and scrape out all of the seeds until each piece is clean and smooth inside. The seeds and ribs are the spiciest parts of a pepper, so this will make them more palatable.
- Lay them out on a baking sheet with the hollowed bellies facing up.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and shredded cheese together.
- Scoop the cheese mixture into each halved pepper and fill to the brim.
- Optional: Sprinkle bread crumbs or crushed tortilla chips on top.
- Grill until the cheese is melted and the jalapeños are lightly browned. Then serve and devour!
Note: Be careful not to touch your eyes after handling jalapeño seeds! The oils will remain on your hands for a while so be careful. You can use gloves while removing the seeds to prevent any problems.
Step It Up: To create a more complex flavor profile in your poppers, you can add finely chopped parsley, cilantro, green olives, cumin or a sprinkle of finely chopped Jalapeño to the cheese mixture.
Chia seeds are super foods widely recognized for their high Omega-3, calcium and antioxidant content. When you are looking for a filling, nutritious and delicious treat, chia pudding has you covered. It is easy to make and fun to turn into a creative build-your-own parfait by adding toppings like fresh fruit, dried fruit and chocolate chips.
This recipe makes two generous servings as pictured. You can easily adjust the recipe.
- 1/3 Cup Chia Seeds
- 1 Cup of Vanilla Nut Milk (Almond, Soy, Coconut, Rice, Hemp…)
- 2 Teaspoons of Agave or Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Optional: 1/2 Teaspoon of Almond Extract
- Your favorite toppings
For an fun twist, make chocolate pudding by adding one tablespoon of cocoa powder or chocolate sauce. Once you have the chia pudding base, you can flavor it is a million different ways with all sorts of creative add-ins! Move over Ice Cream Sundays, there’s a new player in town.