When it comes to vegan mac & cheese, vegans have it easy. There’s a wide assortment of offerings, including terrific recipes and a number of commercial varieties.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Would you believe there’s an entire cookbook exclusively devoted to vegan mac & cheese recipes? Not only that, it’s a beautiful hardcover book that’s full of quality photographs, from one of the vegan cooking world’s bestselling authors.
A little Googling will reveal countless vegan mac & cheese recipes online. Here’s by far the most popular version (with nearly two million views!): a two-minute Buzzfeed video for what they immodestly proclaim to be, “The BEST Vegan Mac & Cheese You Will Ever Have.”
If you’re cooking from scratch, you can always swap your favorite homemade or store-bought cheese into your recipe. See our vegan cheese page for an incredible assortment of possibilities.
Vegan Boxed Mac & Cheese
Deciding on the best vegan boxed mac & cheese is a matter of taste. With so many brands on the market, you’re sure to find one you enjoy. Many of these products are available on Amazon.com.
Daiya Foods’ Cheezy Mac comes in five varieties:
- Cheddar Style
- Four Cheese with Herbs
- Alfredo Style
- Bac’n Cheddar
- White Cheddar
Here are some other brands of boxed vegan mac & cheese:
- Annie’s Organic Cheddar Vegan Mac
- Modern Table Classic Cheddar Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Namaste Foods Say Cheez Macaroni & Cheez Dinner
- Pastariso Vegan Mac Uncheddar
- Road’s End Organics Organic Mac & Chreese and Gluten Free Mac & Chreese
- Upton’s Naturals Ch’eesy Mac & Ch’eesy Bacon Mac
Daiya Foods also sells a Deluxe Cheeze Sauce that you can mix into your own macaroni. Since dried macaroni purchased alone is dirt cheap, Daiya’s sauce product offers a great way to save money while still getting the flavor and convenience of boxed mac & cheese.
Frozen Vegan Mac and Cheese
Frozen mac & cheese brands are a couple notches above boxed products in quality, and are priced accordingly. Instead of a cheezy sauce, frozen products typically involve vegan cheese that melts during cooking. You can bake these products in the oven (which takes more time than microwaving but brings the texture to a whole different level):
- Cedarlane makes a “Simply Plant-Powered” Mac & Cheeze featuring roasted butternut squash and pumpkin.
- Field Roast, a company known mostly for its delicious vegan sausages, also makes two varieties of vegan mac & cheese called Mac ‘N Chao.
- Most of Amy’s Kitchen macaroni products contain dairy-based cheese, but they’ve got a vegan version called Amy’s Rice Macaroni with Dairy Free Cheeze.
In the United States, you’ll have no trouble finding these products at natural food stores and at Whole Foods Market.
Diving Deeper Into Italian Cooking
Macaroni and cheese is a classic Italian dish. If it’s among your favorite meals, you will certainly enjoy sampling other classic Italian foods. We’ve got a wonderful guide to Italian cuisine that will acquaint you with key dishes, ingredients, and cooking methods.