Mac & cheese might seem like one of those foods that vegans have to give up, but nothing is further from the truth. There’s a wide assortment of delicious vegan options.
A little Googling will reveal countless vegan mac & cheese recipes on the web. Here’s by far the most popular version (with 1.75 million views!): a two-minute Buzzfeed video for what they immodestly proclaim to be, “The BEST Vegan Mac & Cheese You Will Ever Have.”
If you’re cooking Mac & Cheese from scratch, you can always swap your favorite homemade or store-bought cheese into your recipe. See our cheese page for an incredible assortment of possibilities.
Boxed Mac & Cheese
Several companies make boxed vegan mac & cheese. Many of these products are available on Amazon.com.
Daiya Foods makes five varieties of their “Cheezy Mac” product:
- Cheddar Style
- Four Cheese with Herbs
- Alfredo Style
- Bac’n Cheddar
- White Cheddar
There are several other brands of boxed vegan mac & cheese:
- Road’s End Organics Gluten Free Mac & Chreese Alfredo Style
- Pastariso Vegan Mac Uncheddar
- Namaste Foods Say Cheez Macaroni & Cheez Dinner
Frozen Microwavable Mac & Cheese:
Frozen mac & cheese brands are a couple notches above boxed products in quality, and are priced accordingly. Instead of a cheezy sauce, frozen products give you actual melted vegan cheese. You can bake these products in the oven (which takes more time than microwaving but brings the texture to a whole different level):
- Field Roast’s product, the newest of the bunch, was released in June of 2017 and is called Mac ‘N Chao.
- Candle Cafe’s entire product line is vegan, and their Mac & Cheese product is called Macaroni & Vegan Cheese.
- Most of Amy’s Kitchen macaroni products contain dairy-based cheese, but they’ve got a vegan version called Amy’s Rice Macaroni with Dairy Free Cheeze.
In the United States, you’ll have no trouble finding these products at natural food stores and at Whole Foods Market.