SeaWorld is a terrible company with the business model of using imprisoned marine animals for the sake of entertainment.
Despite the sleazy nature of its business, things with SeaWorld’s balance sheet appeared to be going swimmingly until the 2013 release of the movie Blackfish. The movie spotlighted the company’s numerous ethical lapses and basically caused everyone with a soul to want to vomit or break something.
For almost a year after the movie’s release, SeaWorld shrugged off the impact of Blackfish as inconsequential. But it changed its position in August of 2014. And less than a month later the company was sued by its own shareholders for misrepresenting its vulnerability to the movie’s allegations.
As of this writing, SeaWorld still sucks every bit as much as it once did. But you can help make sure it’s not around much longer. Here are a few actions you can take to help:
- Boycott SeaWorld and other amusement parks that use live animals.
- Host a Blackfish movie screening (or just invite a few friends over for a popcorn and movie night). Blackfish is available on Netflix.
- Use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube) to spread awareness about SeaWorld’s inhumane treatment of animals.
- Write a letter to SeaWorld or to the editor of your local paper.
- Become a more effective activist.