Sandwiches can be a mainstay of a vegan diet. And when you consider the wide assortment of breads, spreads, and fillings you can choose from, sandwiches can be made in an unlimited number of ways. We’ll give you plenty of tips below for bumping your sandwich-making skills up a notch, but if you really want to dive deeply there’s a cookbook devoted to the subject called Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day.
Of course, good old peanut butter and jam is a great place to start. Opt for jam, preserves, or conserves instead of jelly since you’ll get more fruit and less sugar. And you can further increase your options by swapping in a different type of nut butter: almond or cashew is delicious, while pistachio or macadamia is sublime.
A nice alternative to PBJ is vegan cream cheese and sliced dates.
You’ll enjoy your sandwiches more if you don’t get into a rut by using the same bread time after time. Mix it up between bagels, rolls, bread slices, English muffins, and so forth. Many breads irritatingly contain a small amount of dairy or egg products. And whole grain breads, as often as not, contain honey. So always check the ingredients when buying bread. No matter what sort of bread you choose, toasting it can produce added flavor and some crunch.
Now let’s go through some more options:
- Bagels (usually vegan)
- Buns (hot-dog or veggie burger)
- French bread and baguettes (opt for whole grain)
- Rolls (poppy seed is a nice touch)
- Sourdough (usually vegan)
- Sprouted multi grain
- English muffins (toasted)
- Whole grain
- Butter/Margarine (Vegan)
- Cashew cheeze
- Cream cheese (Vegan)
- Mayonnaise (Vegan)
- Mustard (Try to keep at least two very different varieties on hand)
- Olive oil
- Olive tapenade
- Pesto (Vegan)
- Cheese slices (Vegan: Top Brands are Daiya & Field Roast)
- Deli slices (Vegan: Popular brand is Tofurky)
- Greens (lettuce, spinach, sprouts, arugula)
- Grilled onions
- Raw onions or thinly sliced red or sweet vidalia onion
- Roasted veggies (eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms)
- Sliced vegan sausage
- Tofu (marinated)
- Veggie burgers (Choose a vegan brand)