Going vegan does not mean having to give up on sausage. Vegan sausage is is delicious, satisfying, and widely available. Unlike meat-based sausage, these products are free of animal cruelty cruelty, nitrates, and large amounts of saturated fat. But you won’t miss out on the familiar flavors, textures, and satisfaction of eating a heavier protein-rich food.
Since processed meats like sausage are strongly associated with increased risk of cancer, vegan sausages are a fantastic choice for vegans and meat lovers alike. Here are some top brands that are widely available in North America:
- Beyond Meat: Beyond Sausage (three varieties)
- Field Roast Sausages (five varieties)
- Lightlife: Gimme Lean Sausage
- Frieda’s: Soyrizo (Also sold by Trader Joe’s, branded as, “Soy Chorizo”)
- Tofurky: (five varieties)
You may also be able to find locally-made vegan sausage, thanks to the fact that vegan butcher shops are cropping up in cities all over the world. Every self-respecting vegan butcher sells sausage.
Vegan Sausage Recipes
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make a vegan sausage from scratch that delivers meaty, spicy flavors. There are a ton of these recipes on the web. Here are a few of the best:
- Karissa’s Baked Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Beyond Meat’s Beefy Lentil Breakfast Sausage
- Seitan Based Vegan Breakfast Sausages
- Walnut/Mushroom/Miso Easy Vegan Sausages
- Pinto Bean Based Vegan Sausage
Vegan sausage recipes lend themselves well to experimentation, so dial up the spices if you’re a fan of hot food, and experiment with various cooking methods from pan-frying to steaming to oven-roasting. Serve them alongside pancakes or hash-browns, or slice them up and add to your favorite tofu scramble recipe.
Sausages are of course only the start of your meaty vegan options, and there’s plenty more where that came from. Head on over to our vegan meats page for additional ideas.